Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

The power of 3rds || for the creative

Some very exciting packages arrived in the mail this week! Does anyone else track packages and keep tracking them all day looooooong (aka stalking your packages?!)

That was me this week.

These came (and a couple other surprises!!):

















Actually this post is suppose to be about using the rule of thirds to help in composing a photo, but I just had to share those! :)

You know those lines on your phone's camera that divide up your photo? Use them! Put the most important subject of your photo where two of those lines intersect and take that photo. Those lines divide up your photo into thirds and the intersection of them will help you know where the center subject of your photo should be placed. Think of that person or thing as the anchor point that all the other elements are grouped around.

Not sure what should be in there? Like I said, put the most important subject of your photo where those lines intersect.

How do you know what your photo is about? What story are you trying to tell?

Since it's winter and rather snowy, I pulled out some of my Oregon photos from this past summer that are sunny and warm and beachy.

In the first photo, you can see how the sandels anchored the photo (I also used a low aperture so I had a shallow depth of field!). And the sandals are where the lowest horizontal line would intersect with the  left line. (note: divide the photo with two lines across horizontally and two lines across vertically to see these intersections).

And the second photo - it's Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lovely beach and little town! I mostly just split it up with 2/3rds sky and 1/3 beach. However, I wasn't afraid to show a lot of sky in this photo.



The next two photos show how this rule can be applied to both portrait and landscape oriented photos. So I used 2/3rds river and 1/3rd sky. Also, see how I used the road on the right 1/3rd to help draw one's eye along the photo?!

They also show the beauty of the Columbian river gorge drive :)



Here's Oregon's oldest city: Astoria.

Note the two '3rds' - both horizontal and vertical ones.


And that wraps up the first post in my new series! :)

Note: this may sound strict and as if I'm advising to always follow thirds in all your photos. I'm not. Sometimes I intentionally break the rule of thirds. Sometimes a photo should be symmetric. Sometimes it would be fake looking to follow the rule of thirds when creativity should trump all. So treat it more as a guideline. :) As a framework to get you started. But one to consider as composition and lighting are two really important features that make photos stand out!

No comments:

Post a Comment